Before you bring home a pet crested gecko, you will first need to choose an enclosure, cage, terrarium, tank, or whatever else you may call it. A good tank is essential to keeping a healthy and happy crested gecko. But, not all crested gecko enclosures are the same.
Crested gecko tanks should be spacious enough to support their arboreal activities. It also needs to be secure and well ventilated without costing a fortune.
Finding a terrarium for a crested gecko can be hard. They range in price, design, safety, and durability. Crested geckos kept in the wrong enclosure can suffer injuries and higher stress that can result in a shortened lifespan.
In this post, we give reviews of the six best crested gecko enclosures. Each terrarium has different features and is a bit different from others, but each one of them is right for geckos in its own way. By the end of our guide, you will be able to pick the best terrarium for crested gecko.
A Quick Comparison of the Best Products in 2022
2’x2’x2′ PVC Panel Reptile Enclosure
Zilla Vertical Tropical Starter Kit
Exo Terra Glass Nano
Zoo Med ReptiBreeze
Best for Beginners
Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit
Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium
The Six Best Crested Gecko Cages
Below are detailed reviews of terrariums for crested geckos.
1. Best Overall: 2’x2’x2′ PVC Panel Reptile Enclosure
- The ideal tank for crested geckos
- Durable: Made from high-quality material
- 60-gallon equivalent – Best for adult crested gecko
- Humidity levels from 0% to 100% depending on the need
- Front swinging acrylic doors for easy access
- Galvanized steel screen with support bars for security and multiple lighting options
- Humidity Shield included (but optional) for the top screen keeps the humidity high while allowing for ventilation
- Humidity Shield helps maintain humidity while providing ventilation
- 3-year warranty*
Zen Habitats is a US-based company that specializes in manufacturing reptile enclosures. We have been using their products for quite some time now. They offer enclosures for almost every reptile and amphibian.
The 2’x2’x2′ PVC Panel Reptile Enclosure is our favorite enclosure for crested geckos. Made of 1″ anodized aluminum, bamboo printed PVC panels, front swinging acrylic doors, a galvanized steel screen top, and galvanized screen top.
The steel screen top is equipped with screen support bars and wire grommets, allowing you to place your lighting fixtures either within or outside the enclosure.
The Non-reflective surfaces reduce anxiety. This is especially helpful if you have a male crested gecko because they are territorial and do not like their own reflections.
This enclosure measures 2’x2’x2′ which is equal to 60-gallons of space for your gecko to climb, run around, and exercise. The extra space also gives you the freedom to decorate your tank the way you like without compromising the space.
2. Zilla Vertical Tropical Starter Kit
- Ideal for crested geckos, tree frogs, and many other small size lizards.
- Durable glass build.
- Large front door with locking latch for easy access and security
- Hinged top for easy access.
- Waterproof base (Can hold 5 inches of water in the bottom)
- Comes with a feeding dish, temp gauge, and substrate.
- Takes only a small space
- A lot of vertical climbing space
- Mini Halogen Dome with light bulb
- Ships with reinforced packaging to protect product
Zilla Tropical Reptile Vertical Starter Kit is another very good option on our list of best crested gecko terrariums. It’s an ideal choice for beginners as it comes with many accessories needed for crested gecko care. It comes with the substrate, textured background, a mini halogen dome, halogen light bulb, some coconut husk bedding, a thermometer, and a hygrometer so you can maintain a comfortable environment for your crested gecko.
This crested gecko tank measures 12 x 12 x 18 inches which is a perfect size for a crested gecko. It offers a lot of vertical space for your crested gecko to climb and exercise. It comes with a large door for easy access to the interior. The door has a hinge for easy opening and a latch for locking to make sure your gecko doesn’t escape the terrarium.
So, if you are looking for a good starter kit for the crested gecko, we recommend the Zilla tropical kit because it has everything needed to take care of them and will get you started in no time.
3. Exo Terra Glass Nano
- Glass terrarium best for crested geckos and many other reptiles
- Patented front window ventilation
- Waterproof base
- Raised bottom frame in order to install a substrate heater.
- Escape-proof door locks
- Closable inlets for wires and/or tubing management
- Natural-Looking Rock Background (extra climbing space for geckos)
The Exo Terra Glass Natural Terrarium Nano is the perfect glass terrarium for crested geckos. It is available in 12 different sizes, all built with the same features. The front opening door on the nano/tall model makes feeding and maintenance very easy.
The terrarium comes with a removable full-screen top that allows UVB and infrared penetration and make cleaning easier. It also features a specially designed lock that will prevent your gecko from escaping.
Crested geckos like vertical climbing space, so a tall terrarium is preferred. The Exo Terra Glass Natural Terrarium Nano tall model is the best option for them. You can easily fit decorating items inside the terrarium like plants and make a realistic crested gecko habitat.
The Exo Terra Glass Natural Terrarium Nano terrarium comes with closable inlets for tubing and wires that make installing the heater and misting tools a lot easier. It also features a waterproof base so that water does not leak out.
4. Zoo Med ReptiBreeze
- A better option for crested geckos and many other arboreal species of lizards
- Corrosion-resistant anodized aluminum mesh
- Large front door for easy cage access
- Large bottom door for easy substrate removal
- Easy to assemble (requires only a screwdriver)
- Good for ventilation.
- Large enough for 2 geckos.
- Good for vertical climbing space.
- All hardware included
Zoo Med ReptiBreeze is an open-air screen cage with a more natural look. It is made of specially treated anodized aluminum mesh. Unlike the previous Exo Terra Glass Natural Terrarium which is made of glass. It’s available in 4 different sizes i.e. small, medium, large and extra-large. The medium size which is 16 x 16 x 30-Inches is enough space to house 2 smaller geckos.
It offers a lot of vertical space for your gecko to climb, something crested geckos love to do. You can add a lot of plants to the enclosure to make it look natural and for the gecko to climb on.
Zoo Med ReptiBreeze comes with a large front door that makes cleaning and maintaining the enclosure easy. Also, at the bottom of the cage, it has a drawer that is designed in a way to make substrate cleaning easy. Substrates do get dirty after sometimes, so having a drawer at the bottom is a plus point.
5. Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit
- Ideal for snakes, frogs, lizards, and geckos
- Durable glass build.
- Dual front doors for an escape free access
- Unique front window ventilation
- Full metal screen for top ventilation
- Compact top lighting system
- Natural-Looking rock background
- Includes all necessary decoration items
Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit is another great starter kit for crested geckos. It comes with all the necessary tools needed for crested geckos such as substrate, water dish, jungle vines, jungle rope, and a care guide that will get you started in no time.
This crested gecko terrarium comes with dual opening doors. This is specifically beneficial in accessing the interior of the tank for cleaning, feeding, and other maintenance. The front of the tank has unique window ventilation which means a lot of fresh air for your pet.
6. Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium
- Special screen top
- Lockable door for safety and security
- Front and top ventilation
- Full Front glass opening door with snap closure.
- 6 power cord and airline tubing exit slots.
Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium is a simple but durable terrarium with a more natural look. So, if you are looking for a natural-looking crested gecko tank setup then this would be a great fit for you.
It is available in 3 different sizes. For crested gecko, we recommend a medium-size which is 12 x 12 x 18. It offers enough vertical space for geckos who love to climb.
The tank is made of glass that allows you to see and monitor your pet’s activities without opening the terrarium. It also features a special screen top that keeps feeder insects in while allowing greater UVA and UVB penetration which is a bonus point.
Things to Know Before Buying a Crested Gecko Tank
The design and size of a crested gecko tank impact its safety, effectiveness, and how long it will last. Despite the differences, good enclosures for crested geckos have several things in common:
Crested gecko tank size and design are the most important things to look for when buying a crested gecko enclosure.
A minimum of 20-gallon tall terrarium is required for an adult crested gecko but remember, the bigger the tank the better. If you are planning to house 2 or 3 crested geckos together then at least a 30-gallon tank is should be used.
We recommend a 60-gallon tank for a single crested gecko that will support all its arboreal activities.
Baby crested gecko can be kept in 10-gallon tanks with a screen lid which promotes ventilation and fresh air in the tank.
You have to keep an eye out on your baby crested geckos weight when starting in a small enclosure and as it grows with time you should upgrade the terrarium accordingly. They become stressed in a smaller size thank.
Crested geckos are arboreal and active animals and need lots of vertical space for climbing so a tall tank is preferred.
The enclosure should be secured with key lock security. Crested geckos are quite jumpy and can accidentally escape the cage. Enclosures with front-opening doors should have a solid latch to secure the doors in place.
Durable crested gecko terrariums are sturdy and solid with no loose parts. A well-built enclosure will last the lifespan of a crested gecko without the need for replacement.
Here are some pointers that should be kept in mind before buying an enclosure for your pet crested gecko.
- Crested geckos love to climb and are known for it so preference should be given to tall terrariums.
- Get additional items if they are not included or maybe needed as spare such as bulbs, other lighting accessories, heat-producing items, non-toxic plants & misting systems.
- Follow the rule of thumb of 5 grams and 10 grams to get below 10 gallons or above a 10-gallon terrarium.
- Get a humidity and temperature gauge to keep the optimal levels needed for crested gecko.
- Crested geckos can be quite jumpy and escape their enclosure now and then, to prevent that from happening make sure you get an enclosure with secure doors from the front & at the top for ease of access and ventilation.