What Do Bearded Dragons Eat? The Complete Diet Plan

Bearded dragons are omnivores which means they eat both plants and animals. They can eat a wide range of food, from live mealworms, and crickets to veggies like sweet potato and pepper and greens such as parsley and kale. In moderation, you can also give them fruits.

In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the ins and outs of a bearded dragon’s diet, focusing on their nutritional needs and how to provide a balanced and healthy meal plan. We will share a number of insects, veggies, meat, greens, weeds, and fruits that can make up a bearded dragon’s diet.

Bearded Dragons’ Diet in the Wild

In the wild, they get a lot of exercise climbing bushes, running around scurrying across rocks and burrowing in the ground. So they tend to eat a lot, especially insects. They eat mostly insects, which account for roughly 75 to 80% of their diet including crickets, cockroaches, worms, and even small animals like mice. The remaining 20% to 25% of their diet is made up of greens, vegetables, and little fruit.

Domesticated beardies, on the other hand, tend to be more sedentary since they don’t exercise that much. It’s important for you to keep them on a healthy diet to prevent obesity.

Age-Specific Dietary Needs

The dietary needs of bearded dragons change as they grow, so it’s crucial to adjust their diet accordingly.

1. Hatchlings and juveniles (0-12 months): At this stage, your bearded dragon will have a higher protein requirement to support their rapid growth. Offer them small insects multiple time