Can Bearded Dragons Eat Kiwi? Things You Need to Know

Kiwi is a tasty green fruit that is packed with fiber, vitamins, antioxidants, and folate. It’s a beneficial part of most people’s regular diet. You as a bearded dragon owner might think if you can feed it to a bearded dragon. Let’s answer the question: can bearded dragons eat kiwi in this post.

Can Bearded Dragons Eat Kiwi?

Yes, Bearded dragons can eat kiwi but only occasionally. We recommended feeding it not more than twice a month. Fresh kiwi is a great source of Vitamin C, but it also comes with a high amount of oxalates, which can bind calcium. That is why it should only be given to them occasionally.

Bearded dragons are omnivorous animals, meaning they eat both insects and plants. Baby bearded dragons eat mostly insects. In captivity, around 80% of a baby dragon’s diet should consist of insects and 20% of plants. When they grow older and become adults they should be eating more plants and fewer insects. Around 80% of their diet should be plant-based and the rest 20% should be insects.

Bearded dragons also enjoy a number of fruits. Most dragons will gladly eat kiwi if they get a chance. But you need to keep an eye on what fruits your beardie eats because many fruits can cause some serious health issues.

What’s Good about Kiwi?


Kiwi is a highly nutritious fruit that is beneficial to bearded dragons in many ways. It has good calcium to phosphorous ratio so; it’s perfectly safe to feed to your bearded dragon but, as with other foods, should be given in moderation and with a mix of other food.

  • Kiwi is rich in antioxidants which are good for the immune system, digestion, and inflammation 
  • It has a lot of Vitamin C which is good for a healthy immune system
  • It also contains vitamin E which is beneficial for reducing inflammation 
  • Vitamin K for bone strength and blood clotting 
  • Potassium for heart health 
  • Fiber for digestion
  • Folate for tissue and cells
  • Copper for healthy blood
  • Calcium for bone health and overall wellness
  • A little protein for strength and energy
  • Zinc for recovery from injuries 

One last benefit of kiwi is worth mentioning: Kiwi contains no fat and a fairly low level of sugar which makes it a great food for beardies especially adult bearded dragons. Because eating too much fat and sugar can lead to obesity and tooth decay.

What’s Bad about Kiwi?

Despite its many advantages, kiwi has one drawback that prevents it from becoming a bearded dragon’s staple fruit. Kiwi contains a moderate level of oxalic acid, also known as oxalates.

Oxalic acid, like phosphorus, prevents calcium absorption and depletes the dragon’s supply in the body. Over time, excessive oxalic acid causes metabolic bone disease.

If it weren’t for the oxalic acid, bearded dragons could probably eat kiwi on a weekly basis. But as it stands, save this superfood as a delicious, nutritious monthly treat. Your beardie will thank you! 

How Can Bearded Dragons Eat Kiwi?

The process of giving kiwi to your bearded dragon is pretty simple.

Make sure to choose organic and fresh kiwi. Also, make sure the kiwi is fully riped. Wash it thoroughly to ensure any pesticides or chemicals are removed. Cut the kiwi in half and scoop out the green fruit. Cut it into small manageable pieces and serve alone or in a salad.  

Can Bearded Dragons Eat Kiwi Seeds?

Kiwi seeds are perfectly safe for your dragons to eat, although they may appear undigested in their poo. Since bearded dragons can eat cactus as a staple, that has bigger seeds as compared to kiwis. If they can digest cactus seeds, they will be fine with kiwis as they have small seeds.

Can Bearded Dragons Eat Kiwi

I am the editor-in-chief at, a site that is devoted to reptiles and the people who love them. I have been keeping and breeding many pet reptiles such as bearded dragons, geckos, chameleons, etc. for over 10 years now.

Leave a Comment